Winter is coming. Is your house ready for it?
Winter time can be harsh on your home and your heating bill. While most of us eagerly await the Christmas and New Year holidays every year, we typically can do without the cold, snow and ice!
There are some simple, cost effective things you can do to prepare your house for winter, stay more comfortable, control heat costs and reduce cold drafts. Here are some helpful tips below:
- Make sure your attic is insulated properly. We know heat rises. We also know, thanks to the chimney effect, it rise right up into your attic and to the great outdoors. Not only does attic insulation help reduce this effect, it will also help control your cooling bills in the summer. Make sure you are up to code on your attic insulation!
- Update old or leaking windows. Do you have the old, single pane windows? An insulated, double window window can make a massive difference on your heating bill! Also be on the lookout for broken seals on double pane windows (indicated by a fog between the panes).
- Check the weather stripping on all exterior doors. Weather stripping breaks down and will allow air gaps between your interior living space and the great outdoors. This is a simple and cost effective fix to potential drafts, as weather stripping can be purchased at any home improvement store and is easy to replace.
- Caulk around your windows. If the caulking around your windows is old or missing, replace it with fresh caulk. Gaps around your windows will let in more cold air than you realize!
- Clear your gutters. Clogged gutters can cause an ice build up, which can rot certain parts of your roof and even cause your gutters to fall off of your house due to the extra weight of the ice. Make sure you get a simple gutter cleaning as you head into winter!
These are 5 simple steps you can take to help prepare your home for winter. Remember, if you have a house sitting empty you should go through with a full weatherization of the home to prevent any pipes from rupturing or long term damage being caused by the cold temperatures.
We also buy houses in the Raleigh Durham market. If you want to sell your house fast in what is traditionally the worst time of year to sell real estate, we are still buying and want to make you an offer! You can always call us at (919) 651-3800 at any time.